The Rock Leader Program is intended for experienced climbers who feel ready to jump on the “sharp end”. Leading is a very rewarding and exciting form of climbing, but it can also be dangerous if you have not prepared yourself technically, physically, and mentally. Full comprehension and mastery of these skills is a long process that demands respect and patience. By taking this course, you will be able to jump-start that learning process and upon completion, you should have a working knowledge of the many skills required for a leader to climb safely and efficiently.
This program is designed to be 3 days, but may be shorter depending on your prior experience.
Topics covered include (but are not limited to):
- Placement of traditional protection
- Anchor building and cleaning
- Belay systems for the leader
- Rappelling setups
- How to properly protect a pitch of climbing
- Route selection and terrain assessment
- Fundamental self-rescue solutions to common problems
There is a possibility of leading on your own on well protected pitches at the discretion of your guide.
What’s next? We recommend our two-day Rock Self-Rescue Course to complement your newly acquired skills.
Rates (per person; based on 3-day itinerary):
- Private (1:1) – $925
- Semi-Private (2:1) – $625
- Group of 3 – $540